Monday, June 8, 2009

To Dear Students…


Cigars and Cigarettes!

Respected brother,

I hope you remember me. At the close of the last Camp I had a photograph with you. My heart is filled with praise to God whenever I think of the blessings I received in the Camp.

To be more specific, Jesus delivered me from the bondage of smoking to which I had been enslaved since my high school days. All my pocket money was spent on the habit. My roommate was a chain smoker. He used to share imported cigarettes with me. I could never agree with preachers who condemned smoking because I was myself addicted. Even in the Camp on the first day I would first smoke and then go in and sit conveniently near the exit. But on the second day I committed myself to Christ. Since then I have not so much as touched a cigarette. I developed an unconscious hatred for it. When I try to explain this change to my old smoking companions they argue with me that nowhere the Bible condemns smoking. “I was a slave; but now I am delivered”— This is all I tell them. But I am unable to answer their questions from the Bible. Can you please tell me how to tackle them? Sorry for the trouble.

Greetings with love!

Yours, Victor

Dear Victor,

I shared your letter with friends here. We praised God for your deliverance.

True the Bible does not say, “Thou shalt not smoke!” But the principles cannot be ignored.

1. In every cigarette pack you find a note:

Statutory Warning: Cigarette smoking is injurious to health!

A fact universally proven. As for God’s will, 3 John 2 says,

“Beloved I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.”

How then can smoking be God’s will?

2. A smoker abuses his body. Look at his discoloured lips and teeth and the bloodshot eyes. What is God’s commandment?

“You are bought at a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s” (1 Cor 6:15,20).

3. Undeniably smokers are slaves to the habit. But the principle for the Christian is—

“All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the slavery of any” (1 Cor 6:12).

Mere arguments take you nowhere. The Bible says, “Abstain from every form of evil!” (1 Thess 5:22).

Finally, mere knowledge that smoking is wrong does not deliver a person. He needs Jesus.

Referring to the deliverance from sin through Him, Jesus said, “If the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed!” (Jn 8:36). Is that not your experience? God bless your testimony.

Your brother

No comments:

Post a Comment